Active Children Portland is seeking new Board of Directors and Committee Members to help bring the organization into its next phase of growth and program improvements. Established in 2011, Active Children Portland was created to remove barriers to sport, giving local kids an opportunity to be active, healthy, and positively engaged in their communities.
Since then, we’ve grown to provide free after-school programming in 28 sites across the Portland metro area, utilizing soccer, nutrition, and educational enrichment to provide a holistic approach to youth development. We focus on providing resources to kids in under-served communities; those most affected by racial inequity, health care gaps, and barriers to academic achievement. After-school programming is proven to increase attendance, classroom engagement, and graduation rates while keeping kids active and safe in a stable environment.
While we have made significant strides in providing high-quality programming for the kids in our program, we have room to grow and provide even better services to our kids. In the next two years, our focus is to grow all of our programming pillars, namely nutrition, creative writing, and service learning. We’re seeking Board and Committee Members with knowledge, resources, and contacts within healthcare and education to help us improve curriculum, training, and whole-family experiential learning. We are also looking for community leaders with the connections and expertise to help oversee the fiscal health and long term sustainability of the organization.
Board of Director Expectations:
- Three year service term
- Participate in monthly meetings
- Be actively engaged in spreading mission awareness and building supporters and donors through fundraising events and appeals
- Dedication to actively moving the organization into even greater financial and programmatic success through your specific skills and networks
- Commitment to make a financial contribution meaningful to you – such as becoming a monthly recurring donor if financially possible, fundraising, and recruiting other donors
- Involvement in at least one committee based upon areas of interest and expertise
- One year service term
- Monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly meetings
- Assistance in a specific field
- Strategic planning
- General non-profit
- Youth Development
- Marketing, fundraising, and development
If you are passionate about youth development, the health of our communities, equity, and learning, we would love to talk with you about how you can help make a difference. Please contact Kimberly Bergstrom at email@example.com or 651-442-7378.