Hours: Part Time – 20-25 hours/week (generally afternoons)
Active Children Portland provides free after-school programming in elementary and middle schools around the Portland area. Now in our tenth year, Active Children Portland has created a partnership with local service providers at SUN Schools (Schools Uniting Neighborhoods) where the need for free sports and enhanced educational programming is greatest. We believe every kid deserves access to a safe space to play, learn, develop and grow to succeed today and into their future.
As Program Manager, the employee is responsible for program reach, quality, and efficacy to obtain the highest outcomes for kids enrolled in Active Children Portland services. To meet these objectives, the job focuses on
- Coach-mentor recruiting, training, retention, and communication
- Outreach to nonprofit partners, schools, and other community organizations to launch and oversee new program sites while managing quality delivery at existing locations
- Developing strong community partners to help deliver the highest services
- Leading content creation and delivery through an online service platform
The key to outcomes and success lies within our Coach-Mentors. The Program Manager will oversee Coach-Mentor recruitment, training, retention, and communications. Using The U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success curriculum,the Program Manager will provide coach training and site evaluations to multiple locations throughout Oregon, as well as create individual Coach-Mentor development plans.
This position includes engaging SUN School Site Managers to deliver high quality sports, creative writing, and service-learning portions of the program. They will work with SUN community partners to maintain existing partnership through creating shared goals and using high level communication. This person will also identify other sites or areas of need based upon barriers to equitable access, socio-economic considerations, and gaps in resources.
During the COVID-19 in-person school closures, Active Children Portland was presented with the opportunity to run programming in a virtual setting. This challenge uncovered the possibility of expanding programming to communities outside of the Portland Metro Area that could benefit from mentor-led sports, nutrition, and academic enrichment. This new position will work with community partners to create age-appropriate online content for K-8th grade
students, including soccer skills, nutrition activities, and creative writing and critical thinking curriculum to increase discovery in classroom learning.
The desired individual will have experience working with youth in need and a diverse group of people in the nonprofit setting, an outgoing and friendly personality, demonstrated professionalism and tact in communications with a diversity of individuals, strong organizational and time management skills, acute attention to detail and ability to work well with the management team. As 80% of kids served come from communities of color, with a large percentage from non-English Speaking homes, Black, Indigenous, and Latinx persons fluent in Spanish are highly encouraged to apply.
- Implement, evaluate and maintain programming for youth in need.
- Develop community relationships to create a pipeline of potential Coach-Mentors.
- Ensure coaches and program volunteers are staffed to support the various areas of operations, to include program sites and special events.
- Implement, evaluate and manage Soccer for Success policies, procedures, and standards of our program.
- Track site, coach-mentor, and student participation and necessary paperwork and background checks through Salesforce.
- Assess coach and program volunteer feedback received through comment forms and evaluations.
- Participate in coach/volunteer recognition programs and special events.
- Evaluate all aspects of our programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
- Attend recruiting events within the community to attract qualified candidates.
- Maintain relationships with community organizations within the area.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for coaches and program volunteers.
- Create and distribute various communications and publications.
- Facilitate distribution of information relevant to coaches and program volunteers.
- Work with staff and community partners to develop curriculum and online delivery.
- Maintain online delivery platform including content, registration, delivery, and feedback.
The successful candidate will lead programs, partner with the Executive Director and work collaboratively with a high-performance management team. Specific requirements include:
- Nonprofit experience a plus
- AA Degree in sports management, education, or nonprofit management preferred
- Passion for education, youth development, and sports
- Background in program delivery
- Ability to solve problems with limited resources
- Excellent people skills in a diverse environment; a team player who has a strong experience in motivating others
- Ability to communicate and relate well with children
- Understanding of community needs of BIPOC and low-income familes
- Daily access to a car (sites are located around the city)
- Experience working with public schools and community stakeholders
- Knowledge of soccer and basketball a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish highly preferred
- Proficient with relevant software (Salesforce) and social media technologies
- Excellent service, interpersonal, organizational, public relations skills, verbal and written communication
- Additional proficiency in Windows and Macintosh operating systems and with Microsoft Office 2007, Excel, Google Docs and Internet Explorer/Firefox.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Excellent attention to details
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Available afternoons and some weekends as necessary
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Active Children Portland ‘s mission
To apply send resume and cover letter to Kimberly Bergstrom – email@example.comActive Children Portland provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Active Children Portland complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.