Active Children Portland is looking for Coach-Mentors to work with kids throughout the Portland Metro Area this summer! You don’t need to know soccer or have coached before, just a passion for youth development and being an empathetic mentor. We’ll provide you with nationally accredited “Soccer for Success” training from the US Soccer Foundation.
Active Children Portland operates after-school sports, academic enrichment, and community service programming to elementary and middle school students at under-served school sites throughout the Portland metro area.
Programming is an active and holistic approach to childhood development, which includes sports, creative writing, nutrition education, and service learning projects.
Active Children Portland’s mission is to empower students to lead healthy lives, succeed academically, and inspire positive community engagement. The organization began in 2011 with the vision to transform communities and serve hundreds of local students through youth sports. Active Children Portland program participants receive programming 30 weeks a year, 4 days per week, which keeps them active, healthy, and engaged in a positive and stable after-school environment. This summer we’re expanding our programming to meet the needs of kids disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. Our programs focus on helping all participants to develop the confidence and life skills they need to succeed. We believe that by taking a holistic and comprehensive approach to youth-development, and by focusing on kids who need it the most, we CAN make a positive difference for the next generation.
Active Children Portland is offering a Part Time Soccer Coach/Mentor positions for after school programs in the Portland Metro Area at various Elementary and Middle School sites this summer.
- Coach/Mentor an Active Children Portland team of up to 15 young students.
- Work with a SUN school site directly; through the larger service provider operating at a specific site (ie. Latino Network, IRCO, MFS, etc.)
- Implement the US Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success teaching soccer, and life skills on and off the field.
- Classroom lessons highlighting these specific areas: Physical Activity and Wellness, Mentorship, Family/Community Engagement, Creative Writing, and Service Learning.
- Support SUN school site as a full instructor, helping with students throughout the afternoon program.
- Complete all mandatory training provided by Active Children Portland.
- Typical program hours: Monday-Thursday; 12:30-2:30 although days and times may vary per site.
- Reports to: AC Portland program staff and SUN site manager
- Pay: $20/hour
- Summer season begins roughly end of June, depending on site 6-8 weeks
- Sites available in North, SE and NE Portland, Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale.
- Soccer or coaching experience is a plus, but if you enjoy working with children and have some familiarity with the game you are a great candidate.
- Any relevant experience or education involving youth
- Passion and willingness to make a positive impact in our next generation.
- Commitment to the AC Portland mission of improving lives by utilizing soccer as a vehicle for social change.
- Ability to adhere to all AC Portland rules and policies, and a desire to promote our mission using the given curriculum.
- A high level of integrity, accuracy, dependability, enthusiasm, and confidentiality.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without Visa sponsorship.
- Must successfully complete a background check upon acceptance.
- Must be 18 years or older.